Currently we have received a total of $15,197 in donations, asset forfeitures, and drug fines, towards our proposed K-9 Unit. We continue to accept donations at City Hall 115 North 3rd Street, Oregon, IL 61061. You can make checks out to Oregon Police Department K-9 Fund. Any questions please call me, Chief Darin DeHaan at 815-732-2803.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
WE CONVERTED ONE OF OUR CURRENT SQUAD CARS INTO THE K-9 VEHICLE. THE TRANSITION CONSISTED OF TINTING THE REAR WINDOWS, ADDING K-9 DECALS, AND INSERTING THE K-9 KENNEL CAGE. WE THINK THE CAR LOOKS PRETTY GOOD.
WE CONTINUE TO ACCEPT DONATIONS!!
I have very exciting news to announce. We have committed to purchase our K-9 from the Cross Creek Training Academy. We have made our down payment and our dog is being hand picked according to our specifications. Officer Joseph Brooks will be traveling to the academy in Mid November to begin his training to become our K-9 handler. Officer Brooks will return with our dog and we will introduce him to our community. We continue to accept donations to assist with the cost of operating the K-9 unit and appreciate any financial assistance offered.
Corporal Joe Brooks returned to the Oregon Police Department on 12/05/05 with Oz our 18th Month old Malinois. Oz was breed in the Netherlands and responds to Dutch commands. Officer Brooks and Oz spent over a month training and preparing to come back to serve the City of Oregon in this capacity. More information will be posted in the future.
After a thorough review of our current squad car which is a 2001 Chevrolet Impala, it was concluded that it is time to upgrade our K-9 squad. The 2001 Impala had approximately 113,000 miles on it and was continually breaking down. Over the month of March Officer Brooks was forced to leave Oz at home more than he was allowed to come to work because the vehicle was in the shop. After serious mechanical problems were discovered we approached the Oregon City Council to look at options for a new squad car. Permission was granted and we began to research the available utility vehicles on the market. After side-by-side comparisons, and discussions with multiple K-9 officers from Northern Illinois we came to the conclusion that a Ford Expedition was out best option for this program. The Expedition gives us the ability to make a 60/40 split of the back of the vehicle. Oz's kennel will take up 60 % of the rear and the other 40% will allow an area for Officer Brooks to transport arrested individuals in a safe a secure area. The Impala required Officer Brooks to transport arrested individuals in the front seat next to him which is a serious officer safety issue. The council was informed of our research and voted on 03/26/07 to accept a bid for financing from Stillman Bank Corp at a rate of 4.35% We are currently working with an area car dealership to purchase the new squad car. The Impala was traded for new equipment for the new squad car. The new squad car will be paid for by a majority of K-9 funds which come from drug arrest fines, asset forfeitures, cash seizures, and donations.
Reasons why we chose the Expedition:
1) Size allows the 60/40 split which gives Oz enough room for his long shifts and gives us room to transport arrested individuals.
2) With 4X4 Joe and Oz can access areas in which they maybe needed to track a fleeing suspect or a lost child.
3) This vehicle will give Joe room to store the various necessary items that he needs to train Oz with.
4) The Expedition is offered on State Bid pricing which makes it very affordable.
On July 10th 2012 the Oregon Police Department honored our Canine Oz for his years of service and celebrated his retirement. Oz did great work for the City of Oregon and will be missed by all. Happy Retirement Oz ~ Chief DeHaan
In Memoriam ~ Chief DeHaan
It’s with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of our former K-9 Oz.” – Chief Darin DeHaan. In 2005 Sgt. Joe Brooks returned to the Oregon Police Department from a month long training academy with Oz, an 18 month old Malinois. We were able to purchase Oz after having received donations from area businesses and citizens. Oz was breed in the Netherlands and responded to Dutch commands. Oz was trained to detect 12 drugs and was also a fantastic tracker.
On July 10th 2012 Oz was retired from service. He was experiencing some minor health issues at the time and we felt it was best to allow him to rest and recover.
On 08/02/14 Sgt. Brooks received the devastating news that Oz was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and to prevent his prolonged suffering he made the difficult decision to have Oz put down.
“Sgt. Brooks and Oz did great work for the City of Oregon and its citizens, from visiting children in their classrooms, doing K-9 demonstrations, to making some great drug busts over the years. Oz made a great impact and will certainly be missed by all.”